1. Describe the “process of co-evolution” between cereal grains and humans.
2. How was food a “tool” for social organization?
3. What makes modern maize an attractive surplus-producing crop?
4. Describe the transition from teosinte to modern maize.
5. Was this human manipulation of genetics purposeful?
6. What is pellagra and how does it develop in humans? How did early farmers combat this?
7. Describe the transition of wheat.
8. Describe the transition of rice.
9. How was the domestication of cereal grains similar to the domestication of animals?
10. How is the cultivation of agriculture represented in early cultural mythology?
*What is the significance of human agriculture and the domestication of animals?